- The publication should be of historical significance to the Region of Waterloo.
- The application form must be accompanied by a draft manuscript of the proposed book, monograph, pamphlet or map, etc.
- Editing of the manuscripts may be a condition of grant approval.
- The application form must be accompanied by letters of resolutions to support the publication, if supported by an organization. Two letters of recommendation should be submitted offering an opinion as to the ability of the author(s).
- The application must be accompanied by two detailed quotations from printers and an explanation of the choice of printer.
- Initial submission could consist of a letter to the Foundation outlining the publication project, the research being undertaken and information about the author(s) and an indication of his/her expertise in the field.
- External expertise may be called upon by the Foundation during the application review process for additional professional comment or scrutiny.
- The Allocations & Finance Committee will evaluate the proposed project and determine if a complete application should be made.
- The application will be forwarded to the Allocations & Finance Committee at the first regular monthly meeting. The committee will acknowledge the receipt of the application, ensure that all necessary documentation has been received and make a preliminary assessment of any additional information that will be necessary to make a recommendation to the Foundation. The manuscript will be given to evaluators on the Foundation to access the worthiness of the work.
- When the evaluators have completed their work and made their report to the Committee, the applicant(s) will usually be invited to attend the next meeting of the Foundation as a delegation, and make a 10 minute presentation of the project, and afterward answer any questions by Foundation members. This is an excellent opportunity for applicants to provide additional details not covered in the application. The full submission will appear on the agenda for information of the members at this meeting.
- Further discussion and consideration will take place by the Allocations & Finance Committee, which will make a recommendation to the Foundation. These recommendations will usually be discussed at the next regular meeting of the Foundation.
- The Foundation's decision will be officially communicated to the applicant by mail. The applicant could expect to be notified by telephone or e-mail shortly after the meeting.
Complete applications can normally be decided in approximately three to four months.